– Generate useful surface and solid 3D data to assist with the creation or update of CAD designs in systems like Solidworks, Catia, NX, AutoDesk, etc.
– Real world example: Scan the bucket connection points on an OEM wheel loader to allow for the development of aftermarket implements in Solidworks.
– Capture digital recreations of hand built prototypes or one-of-a-kind custom parts with precise measurements allowing for digital documentation.
– Real world example: Scan a plastic injection mold to capture hand grinding and polishing that was done to the runner system to allow a second tool to be built identical to the first.
– The capture of an exterior shape on an existing part or model that will be used in the design of a new mating part.
– Real world example: Scan the exterior of an automotive glove box light switch and use that shape as a bounding box to design a new switch in that will still fit in the space allocated for the original switch design.
Utilizing traditional contact-based part probing at accuracy of+/- .0016” or non-contact 3D laser scanning at +/- .0025”. This Portable Coordinate Measuring Machine (PCMM) can be taken to any job site for direct measurements within hours of receiving a call or email.
Examples of the Faro Arms capability:
While the Faro ScanArm is a great fit for most projects DE has access to other scanning technologies for the times when jobs necessitate something other then a red line laser scanner. These other technologies include:
– Industrial CT scanning: CT is well suited for very small parts that are highly detailed or part that require the scanner to look inside them (plastic injection molded parts, assemblies, hollow parts, etc).
– Blue Structured Light Scanning: Blue Light is useful for capturing large parts in extremely high detail as well as capturing color data while scanning.
DE has a onsite metrology lab that is temperature controlled and has the ability to accept large parts that require movement with a Hi-lo.
DE has several customers who own their own 3D scanning systems but don’t want to deal with training and maintaining a reverse engineer on staff for occasional projects. DE steps into this situation to handle all of their reverse engineering needs. After scanning the part they send us the raw scan data files and have us handle the reverse engineering they need completed. This also saves them the cost of maintaining a seat of Design X.