DE has experience working with both large and small hardware makers in the consumer product space using Soildworks 3D CAD.
DE has experience working as both a part of a larger engineering organization handing overflow mechanical design work for new product development projects. On the other end of the spectrum, we can completely handle the new product developed process in house for smaller clients and individual inventors. Regardless of project size or scope, we pride ourselves on our ability to adapt to the needs of our clients and there new product development projects.
For projects where we are handling development from beginning to end, our process generally looks something like this:
- Ideation / Industrial Design – Use of white board sessions and concept drawings with the client to come up with the basic styling and layout of the product.
- Research – Basic research is conducted to determine things like: potential component materials, proposed mechanical, electrical, or pneumatic systems, manufacturability of the product, etc.
- Concept Design – Produce a basic 3D CAD model that can be used for additional 3D idealization, electrical engineering PCB layout, FEA testing, and final styling.
- Rough Prototype – A simple prototype is generated to capture the style and basic functions of the product.
- Final Design – Combining all outside resources (electrical engineering, purchased components, etc) and customer / prototype feedback a final design is generated.
- Fully Functional Prototype – A fully functional prototype is produced with all components, sub systems, and final styling complete. If testing with this prototype reveals issues with the design, changes can still be made to it.
- Production support – Unlike many other firms, DE prides itself on its roots in manufacturing, whether your product is being made across the city or across the globe, DE stands ready to support your manufacturing with full engineering support.
DE has experience in a wide variety of manufacturing materials and processes which allows us to design a product that is manufacturable in a cost effective manner with the least amount of upfront tooling and the lowest start up costs.
We have worked with:
- Sheet metal fabrication: cutting, forming, and welding of components and assemblies
- Stamping: large component, deep draw, in die welding and taping, class “A” surface finish
- Casting: Sand castings, Investment Castings (Lost Wax), air set casting, gate / runner design
- Aluminum, Steel, Iron, Titanium, Super Alloys
- Plastic Injection Molding: large component, small features, class “A” surface finish, assemblies (screw, heat stake, ultrasonic weld)
- ABS, PCABS, Nylon (w/fillers), TPE rubber, Silicone
- Woodworking: CNC route features, wood working component connections, hardware
- Assemblies: automated assembly of finished components, screws, snaps, rivets, welds
- Electrical Engineering: PCB board development and layout, software development, wire harness design